Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lipstick Chronicle#3: My Infamous Red Lip

This Winter I was rocking the red lip. I love it! I received so many compliments on it so I decided to share my red lip secret.


First: Don't Be Afraid
Don't be afraid of the stereotype. Gone is the day when the color red was only for fast, slutty, Jezebel women. Now, in modern times red symbolizes power and confidence.

Don't be afraid of the color, itself. I've heard many a woman say she doesn't think red will look good on her. Wrong, wrong, wrong, it all depends on the shade of red. There are reds with purple, orange, pink, or blue undertones. You just have to find the right shade for you.

Second: Pick Your Shade
When selecting any lipstick shade, it's important to find a shade that fits your lip pigment and your skin undertones.

For me selecting a red was the easy part because my lips already have a natural pink pigment and my skin has red and yellow undertones.

Third: Moisturize & Prime Your Lips
The worst thing about wearing a bold color is wearing it with cracks in your lips- NOT ATTRACTIVE. Make sure your lips are moist and then prime them to make sure the lip color doesn't bleed into or stain your lips.

Fourth: Line Your Lips
Select a lip liner that is neutral and close to your skin color. The thing with lip liners is that they change the color of your lipstick and lip gloss so pick a neutral and lightly line your lips.

My favorite neutral lip liner is Cork by M.A.C.

Fifth: Apply Your Color
You want to evenly apply your color to your top and bottom lip. For all my smackers, there is no need to smack them together at this point.

My favorite color is F-Bomb by Urban Decay, a high gloss lip color. It's sold exclusively at Sephora. Again, select the color you like best.

Sixth: Add Some Shine
If you don't know by now but will get to know, I like for my lipgloss to POP! Call attention to your assets and one of them is your lips.

My favorite red gloss is Bad Education or Scandal by NARS.


Note: I have listed my favorites and they are a little pricey. However, these products are highly pigmented and last a very long time so I make the investment. In the future, though, I'll find some more budget friendly options.

No comments:

Post a Comment