Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lipstick Chronicle #4: Talk About Good or Bad Hair

For me "School Daze" is one of the best representations of Black culture in film. Putting the film into a media context, the film was released in 1988. At the same time, Bill Cosby was breaking records with "The Cosby Show" and "Different World". Both "School Daze" & "Different World" highlighted the undergraduate experiences and social issues of Black students, which was unknown to me and many others at the time.

"School Daze", however, addressed unspoken social issues within the black community, such as, hair. Chris Rock's "Good Hair" was not the first to openly discuss the phenomena of black hair. Back to the subject, one of my favorite scenes in "School Daze" is Madame ReRe's Salon with the fairer skinned, long haired girls (mostly weaves) and darker skinned, short haired girls singing about good or bad hair.

What is good or bad hair? For, it's short hair don't care. Yes, I will rock a weave because to me hair is an accessory, don't get at me. When I'm feeling more chill or my finances are little low, you'll see me rockin' my short cut. With all hair there is maintenance but there are different maintenance rules with short hair cuts. Today I attended a Short Hair Boot Camp at Like the River Salon in Atlanta.

The Boot Camp was for women of color with short haircuts who want to know how to maintain their short cut in between salon visits. It was a celebration of short hair with skin hues ranging from fair to dark. Even though, the hair debate still continues the skin hue & short hair debate did not exist today. I thought, "Wow, we've made progress. " Once I left the Boot Camp, I took the tips and techniques shared and applied them to my hair.

Check out the before & after pictures...

Before Hair Shot: Hair from last night with fully made face
After shots: Hair after Boot Camp with lipstick only

It's amazing what a little hair flip can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment